In today’s look at the San Diego Padres prospects list, we will make up a 25-man prospect team. It is not your ordinary 25-man roster.
The list consists of the eight best prospects, one at each place on the diamond. Five left-handed starting pitchers, five right-handed starters, and the seven best relief pitchers on the farm.
Of course a lot of the names will look familiar. Most, but not all the players listed you will have seen on my recently released top 30 prospects list.
If this was yesterday you would have seen the name Phil Maton listed. However, he recently lost his prospect eligibility. One name that made the list got the call to the big leagues on Thursday, left-handed relief pitcher Kyle McGrath. He is # 27 on my top 30 prospects list.
It makes me feel like a proud papa seeing someone on my list that is not on other prospects lists make it to the show. When you sport an ERA of 1.61 over a career, you deserve the call.
With that being said, let’s take a look at who else out of my proud prospects list form my first 25 man prospect team.
Starting Eight position players:
C-Austin Allen-Lake Elsinore Storm
1B-Josh Naylor-San Antonio MIssions
2B-Luis Urias-San Antonio Missions
SS-Fernando Tatis Jr.-Fort Wayne TIn Caps
3B-Christian Villanueva-El Paso Chihuahuas
LF-Michael Gettys-Lake Elsinore Storm
CF-Franchy Cordero-El Paso Chihuahuas
RF-Jorge Ona-Fort Wayne TIn Caps
Starting left-handed pitchers:
1) MacKenzie Gore-Arizona Rookie League
2) Joey Lucchesi-San Antonio MIssions
3) Adrian Morejon-Fort Wayne TIn Caps
4) Eric Lauer-San Antonio MIssions
5) Logan Allen-Lake Elsinore Storm
Starting right-handed pitchers:
1) Michel Baez-Fort Wayne Tin Caps
2) Cal Quantrill-San Antonio Missions
3) Anderson Espinoza-Lake Elsinore Storm (Disabled List)
4) Chris Paddack-Fort Wayne TIn Caps (Disabled List)
5) Michael Kelly-El Paso Chihuahuas
Want your voice heard? Join the Friars on Base team!
Top Seven relief pitchers:
1) Trey Wingenter-RH San Antonio MIssions
2) Eric Yardley-RH San Antonio Missions
3) T.J. Weir-RH San Antonio Missions
4) Kyle McGrath-LH San Diego Padres
5) Gerardo Reyes-RH Lake Elsinore Storm
6) David Bednar-RH Lake Elsinore Storm
7) Jose Galindo-RH Tri-City Dust Devils
On paper this list might have looked like it was easy to choose from. Truth be told, it was pretty hard. Third base was almost a coin flip between Villanueva and San Antonio Missions third basemen Ty France.
It was also very hard to choose my left fielder. Having to choose between Gettys and Missions OF Franmil Reyes. Not to mention the last three relief options not being easy to choose from either.
With the depth in the farm system now being what it is, the Padres have many years of sustained success ahead of them.
If this 25 man prospect team is any sign of that future success, The Swinging Friars could very well have a World Series run to look forward to in the not so distant future.
Read More at: https://electricleesd.com